Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shower curtain turned valances




I was out shopping for fabric to make some drapes for our dining room. I found some gorgeous silk fabric that I fell in love with. But there was one major hiccup, it cost $99/yd. ! Yikes! I have that kind of taste, unfortunately. I can walk into any store and my eye is drawn to the most expensive items. Now that would be fine but I have champagne taste and only a beer drinking wallet, as they say. So if I really want something bad enough I will either save up for it, wait for it to go on sale or improvise. In this case I would have needed 5 yds of fabric per window. I have 2 windows. Can you say OUCH???
So me being me, I decided to shop at one of my favorite discount stores (TJ Maxx) and stumbled upon this beautiful shower curtain ($14). It is fabric with gold embroidered swirls. I then went to the fabric store and had a 50% off coupon for one cutting and bought the gold tassle trim for another $27.00 and the thread to sew it with. So for about $44., I got a nice set of valances that look decent. I wanted floor length drapes but there was only one shower curtain, so I cut it in half, horizontally and folded over the top to create a rod pocket. I then added the trim to the bottom with a straight stitch and then to create the gathers I simply spaced out (3) 24" segmants and gathered them up about 12" and added a few stitches to hold them. Voila! A shower curtain turned valances.
Free Signature Generator

9 comments:

  1. I bow to your ingenuity. That is some gorgeous shower curtain/valance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love your creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative. I love the fabric. Very lovely and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - great job! They look beautiful! And I'm sure you like them even more when you know you were innovative and economical! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what excellent improvization :)) and it looks like a $199/yard valance :) awesome job! and btw... your new blog look is out of this world! totally fantasylike and dreamy :)) ahhh.....i often wish the world i live in looks like that :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job! That looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Not bad for a shower curtain :)

    I'd love to spice up our draperies.. (we've got tan/beige Wal-Mart on-sale specials) might have to go looking through the bathroom sections in stores now ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in and saying hello. You have made my day! Enjoy yours!