Friday, September 5, 2008

Feathering your nest this fall


Soon we will be saying goodbye to summer and hello to fall. Fall is that time of year when the air starts getting crisper and the leaves change, begin to fall and often times dance down the streets. We tend to break out the lightweight sweters, go to football games, start making soups and chilis, etc. Well one place that I love to focus my attention on in the fall is my home. I call it feathering my nest, because I am creating a cozy place for my family to enjoy. Starting in my bedroom, I like to replace the cream colored Matelasse coverlet on my bed with a comforter that is much thicker, weighted and cozy. I also change out my window treatments to match. I like to toss a throw onto the corner of the bed to easily grab when I am reading a book and need a little warmth.


In the bathroom, yes, I go there too. I like to replace my melon and lightly scented handsoap with something in vanilla, or a fall inspired scent. I also switch out my shower curtain, valance and rug.


In the living room, I like to toss a throw over the arm of the sofa and keep a couple more nicely folded and tucked away for the whole family. We love it! Then I add fall scented candles to my many holders and they get lit nearly every evening when we are able to be at home for a few hours. It makes the house smell delicious. I also add nice cozy throw pillows to the chairs and sofa. To spice up my gold colored silk draperies, I use various tiebacks. Sometimes a berried garland or a rope and tassel, depending on what I choose. The dining room gets a centerpiec of candles on a pretty platter or a fall themed arrangement that I create. The kitchen gets burgundy, gold and/or olive green dish towels. I like to even take the nesting to my front porch. I sweep it clean of all of the leaves, place a throw over the settee arm and fall scented candles and runners on the outdoor dining and coffee tables. I will also put out a beautiful autumn flag to welcome our guests. I like to place mums on either side of the doorway and a few pumpkins of different sizes.
What makes you feel all warm and cozy at home? Wish I had a fireplace. I miss our old house for that alone.




9 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, So nice to meet you!...Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog & leave a comment!....especailly when it is about politics! :) For some reason I find ladies have no problem leaving comments, until it's political!? So I thank you again for doing so!!!...I also have to say I have been reading some of your posts!! How did I not know about you! Your blog is so charming with such lovely posts!!! Especially the one about getting your home ready for Fall!...something I love doing too!...I will be visiting often!...and so glad we share similar views about Sarah Palin! :) Enjoy your weekend!...heidi XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you wrote about nesting and would love to see the changes you make in pictures! My home is fall colors all year but I still tend to cozy it up in the fall.

    LOL - gals always comment on how clean and neat my home is. I have this thing about NOT showing my messes! That's the best part of blogging - I can take the mess and put it inback of me when I snap my pictures! LOL. And it helps that we are now empty nesters!!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tammy,

    Thanks for visiting me! I love your description of what you do to your home in the fall. I do a little of that myself...change the wreath on the front door, put mums and pumpkins on the porch...start thinking about soups (my fav thing). I will share photos of my workroom soon I hope...everything is still disorganized. I had to do two coats of paint as I was covering a dark blue.

    Enjoy the weekend!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,
    Greetings on this cool Saturday morning....a touch of fall is in the air.....

    Fall, to me, is a cozy time of the year....cool but not freezing...I, too, put out Mums, pumpkins, throws....I'm taking a new approach, at least to me, in decorating my window boxes...I plan to post on it next week.....

    Blessings, Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy, nice to meet you and thank you for your comment.

    I love this post-I's so cool and cloudy here today, your words really got me in the mood for some nesting. Time to stock up on my fall scented candles and soaps too!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy- It is so nice to meet you! Thank you so much for your creative suggestions for my yard sale finds. Such wonderful ideas! Your blog is just lovely and I truly enjoyed reading how you prepare for Fall. I love this time of year with it's cooler temperatures, rich colors and the "nesting" that you enjoy so much.:-) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammy,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I love your ideas for fall! Can't wait to read more.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog! :-) I love yours and the design got me over to the blog design site to spend lots of time prettying up mine! I figured out how to get rid of that old leftover blogger border behind my custom made one. If you want to know the secret just leave me a post or email... sph@whiteaker.org. I'm learning all kinds of fun things.

    I have started thinking about getting the house decorated for fall, but then looked at the calendar to see that it doesn't officially start until Sept. 22, so I'm going to hold off and trying to hold onto summer (yeah right) until then! Yet I am starting to think about Halloween costumes for the kids. ha ha. Lovely ideas you have though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post, can almost smell the fall scents. Thanks so much for checking on us, T

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping in and saying hello. You have made my day! Enjoy yours!